Wednesday 24 September 2008

Day 3

24th September

I know airports very well, in fact when working I often text Jackie the airport abbreviations to let her know where I am going (difficult to call sometimes due to time difference). Today though was different. At work we have a saying “you only need to remember 2 things when travelling, passport and credit card”. Therefore normally I am very relaxed about packing and turning up. If I haven’t got it, then I will buy it at the other end.

Driving down to LHR, I was running through the things I couldn’t buy at the other end (Jude, pet passport, vaccination certificate) and things can be purchased but I’d rather have my own (dog food, lead, running shoes etc). Anyway I can’t turn back now.

As the dogs were travelling cargo, we had to leave them at 07.00 on the outskirts of HR airport, then go and park the cars before heading back into the terminal to check ourselves in. After I left Jude my main concern was finding the car park. As I sat on the transfer bus back to the terminal I felt a little upset and wondered how Jude was. Anyway I texted Jackie to let her know all was going to plan so far. Then received a text from Nicola. Sharon, David and herself had a good journey to Brussels and had themselves just checked the dogs in there. So quickly my mind came back to meeting back up with the others (Angela, Natasha, Matt, Steve) as well as Debbie and Richard who had now joined the ‘party’.

Last Sunday, Rachel had proposed producing a photo of the dogs for the flight crew when we boarded to help break the ice. I had mine with Jude’s passport and it came in handy at my check in. My checked baggage and soft crate took me over the baggage allowance. When the lady at check-in showed interest to where (and why) we were going, I produced Jude’s photo and she waived any additional charges. Anyone flying next time should remember that tip (I doubt it would work with a male attendant)!

Plane side, we went through the usual ritual of making sure they had loaded the dogs. We only saw Ten being loaded, but were assured that Dizzy and Jude were on board as we sat down. The dog photos and small stories did break the ice and gave the stewardesses something to smile about that morning. In fact the Fin air staff were helpful as they could be, even asking us which temperature the dogs would like in the hold.

Anyway, glad to say everyone arrived OK into Helsinki. Met up with the Brussels contingent and we are now all in the hotel. Off now to give Jude a walk and look around a bit.

No comments: