Monday 22 September 2008

21st September

Well, completed our last group training at Steve Croxford’s. Now this is only my second year competing on the team, but I thought that the atmosphere on the last training day was more relaxed and fun than last year? Perhaps due to having to self fund the trip and everyone already knowing that they will compete in individuals and team? Then again might just be my perspective.

From a training perspective Jude and myself have had better days, but I am not worried. Basically all our fundamentals are sound (turning, contacts and weaves [yes even right hand is now in our bag of tools]) and it is the courses on the day which will dictate my tactics and ultimately success or failure. I also had to make sure I had no last minute regression on the left hamstring. In May I had a grade 2 muscle tear in this region which basically put me out for 6 – 8 weeks. Glad to say even though I had a little tightness last week at Prestbury, this weekend was OK. I have my compression shorts packed just in case.

As with last year, the medium team decided our running order between ourselves at training. After a little discussion Angela chose to go first, Natasha second with myself running third. I have run last for the medium Crufts team and third for Beacon team so running later is not a problem for me. Then again I reflected that if we were to do well in the Jumping (Friday) then on the Sunday I could possibly be the last medium in the last team to go. Now that does sound a little scary! Other GB team members commented that even if I was OK, they might not be able to control their nerves in that situation!

Arrived home to find Jackie had added a new rucksack to our boot bag collection. These are prizes that the generous Bromsgrove give out. Tom and Del had won a few classes each day between them and so Jackie was happy. Fiona Vaughan had also won 2 grade 6 classes with ‘D’ so she was now looking forward to Championship classes in 2009. Well done Beacon members. Jackie and myself finished off Sunday evening at the pub for a debrief of the weekend and that we wouldn’t see much off each other for a week or so.

Jackie won’t be travelling to Finland this year. With the combined costs of getting to the WC (world champs) and kennelling, we thought it too expensive. I have a very early trip on Wednesday (leave home at 03.30) to travel to Heathrow. At least the journey will be measured in hours, not days compared to last year.

No comments: